The Crown is His: Africa Ball Experience/ Testimony!



Much overdue but I wanted to share with you all my experience participating in Nigerian Student Association's Annual Africa Ball Pageant at Cornell University. This was something I had an opportunity to do as a freshman but declined because I felt I had too much on my plate (which was a joke). I accepted this year because I figured as a premed student I’m only gonna get busier, so it was kind of a "now or never" type thing. Knowing the growth I've experienced between freshman and sophomore year, I am really glad I made that decision. I joined this pageant with two main expectations: to be stepped out of comfort and to be used as a vessel for ministry.   

Originally, I hoped to do a singing collaboration with a fellow contestant and close friend for the talent portion of the pageant, which I lowkey planned out since first being nominated as a freshman. But when I found out that collaboration with other contestants was not permitted, I had to figure out something to do alone. Like I said before, I wanted to step out of comfort: which means I didn't want to do something I was fully confident in. For this reason, I refused to dance even though I was advised to do so. Spoken word ministration came to mind because it is something I have not done since high school. There are so many amazing spoken word artists on my campus, and I knew without a doubt that other contestants would be performing spoken word as well, but I knew that no one would be expecting ministry. I was going to use this opportunity to not showcase my talents, but to showcase His spirit, and how He has impacted my life.

I decided to write "Waiting on Agape” to share Tobi and I’s testimony which we shared in “Enjoying the Season of Singleness: The Breakthrough After the Breakup” in a new light. We both have grown so much since our breakup in the fall of 2015, and God used this opportunity to show me that even though it has almost been two years, there is still fresh revelation and truth that can be drawn from our story. He wanted me to step out of comfort and share that truth, surpassing written word and delivering spoken word to students on my campus who were ignorant to our backgrounds. Writing the piece was very challenging because I had to press into His spirit and be open for God to show me a new thing about something I thought I knew everything about. It was truly amazing to see what He pulled out of me and the manner in which He called me to share this testimony.

You can find the words to my spoken word here: http://edifyanduprise.blogspot.com/2017/06/waiting-on-agape-spoken-word.html

The flow of the piece is what wows me the most, because I did not have any particular intentions regarding how I thought the piece should be delivered, but God knew exactly what He was doing when He lead me to write these words. I begin speaking in the form of my younger self, initially after the breakup, then from the perspective of God, and finally from the perspective of my current self. The direction of the piece is completely unexpected which allowed me to truly grab the attention of those listening with the element of surprise. The melody of “We Rise”-by Rama Duke was laid on my heart early in the process of writing this piece, familiar to many as one of the songs on the “Love Don’t Cost a Thing” soundtrack which is very ironic because I have learned that love certainly has a cost.

My search for musicians came with many challenges. I envisioned having both a pianist and guitarist accompany me on stage, but my efforts resulted in many declines and cancelations due to busy schedules and exam preparation. Osei, a new friend of mine offered to play the guitar for me, and although it was electric and not acoustic (which usually sounds better for spoken word) I was desperate so I gladly made it work. Our schedules did not permit us to practice until two days before the pageant, and although it was nerve wrecking I was pushed to trust the Lord. This was not talent, this was ministry, and for that reason alone God made everything come together for my good. My friend Ariana accompanied Osei and I as we practiced, gave us constructive feedback, and overall helped me go beyond the vision I had for the delivery of the piece. I was hesitant about it at first, but Ariana and Osei encouraged me to sing a short verse I wrote to go along with the piece. This was another surprise that captivated the audience during my ministration.


I walked into Africa Ball with complete confidence that I was going to walk out with the crown not because of my own abilities, but because of God’s light shining through me. I got the most difficult question for the Q&A portion but still answered gracefully, and the spoken word ministration went better than I could have ever imagined it! Immediately after leaving the stage I was approached by people who were blessed by my testimony, which gave me so much joy. Additionally I was presented with an opportunity to minister a second time at a musical showcase for a very talented Jazz Band on my campus called After Six, another door the Lord opened for me to minister to an even more unfamiliar crowd. In the end, I was crowned Miss. Africa 2017. God is awesome y’all! I carry that title with humility and grace, and hope to use this platform to enhance the Cornell experience for my fellow Africans as well be a positive influence on my campus as I show individuals the love of Christ!

So that’s my testimony y’all, this pageant was stressfullll for many reasons but I kept my expectations in mind and didn’t stop until they were met. God truly brought order to my situations and allowed me to grow through this experience. I will forever be thankful. 
Be encouraged. Don’t run away from doors you asked the Lord to open for you. Be ready to be showcased for His glory.

AMEN.


Comments